Monday, August 08, 2005

August 8 Home update

Yes, yes I know, it has been awhile! We have been so busy and actually doing nothing for a week and then got busy doing something for the weekend. Our first week home we of course had jetlag and a lot of visitors and phone calls and just trying to continue to get to know each other. We did great but as I stated in my earlier post – she was not napping very well. Last weekend I told John that we needed a quiet week of just trying to get into a routine and do things consistently so she will know what to expect, etc. We started a morning and night time routine. And low and behold – my dear sweet angel began napping! She began her usual two hour morning nap and also gives me a 1.5 to two hour afternoon nap. Thank God! So, why have I not done my work and updated my blog? Well – mommyhood is a busy job even when baby is sleeping. There is laundry and dishes, and organizing and still unpacking and oh – YEA those two sacred hours are also the times the mommy gets to shower and wash her hair and to eat! I must say that being a stay at home mom (even for a few special weeks) is a hard job and so very well worth it.

To be able to blog now – Lacie and Daddy are asleep together. She was in her bed – but she has had a very busy day and I think she is restless. So she woke up and just needed a person to be near. So they are snoozing and I am blogging. If I rest with her to get her to sleep then my brain becomes mush and I do not feel up to blogging and downloading pics. By the way – I am downloading pics on one computer as I write on the laptop. It makes the process go much faster.

Enough about me, huh? As I said, we had a slow week last week. And by the weekend we were having cabin fever. Or at least mommy was. Special friends came to visit at the end of the week for short and very wonderful visits. Even with visits, mommy was still a little restless. So, on Saturday I took Lacie out the first time by myself – we went to Chuck E Cheeses to meet my mother and 5 year old nephew Nathan for pizza. Lacie loved it. We sat in a corner and Lacie loved watching the kids walk by. Nathan shared his tokens with her and let her ride on one of the rides (with him.) He was very protective of her and I was very impressed.

Sunday, Lacie went to church for the first time. She was awesome. She was very good and only talked out loud one or two times and I think she was just in agreement with the preacher cause it sounded like an “Amen Brother!” Ha Ha. Really – she began her dadadada chant. She was greeted with excitement from friends who have been praying for her for a very long time and maybe even before she was born. Lacie was of course, as usual very friendly and greeted everyone with her sweet and ready smile. She never holds that back, even when she is very tired. After church we went to my mothers for lunch and to see my nephew off and to meet my step dad for the first time. He loved her – of course!

Today was a very special day for Lacie and mommy! We went to see my mamaw at her assisted living home about an hour away. She has been very anxious to see Lacie and all the residents at the home have been excited through my mamaw’s excitement to meet the “little girl from China.” My mamaw has been a very bright spot in my life, especially these last few months as I have gotten the opportunity to spend more time with her. She has taught me a lot about life and living and family. I hope that someday I can share some of what she has blessed me with – with my own daughter. Of course, if not, Lacie will have her own grandmothers to share special moments with - and she has plenty to share with too! Lacie loved mamaw and let her hold her. After she studied her for a minute and realized that mamaw was ok – she gave her one of those smiles. It was hard to get Lacie to turn away from Great Mamaw to look at the camera. I think she really liked her. I look forward to more visits.

Oh, while there, one of the residents asked what her name was. I said Lacie. Then I said, we named her after my grandfather, Lacy Scott. And a man from across the room said, “I know Lacy Scott!” And we talked for awhile. His mother was also in the assisted living home. It was special to share that moment with that man, who was a stranger till then – someone who knew my grandfather.

Anyway – these were three active days for Lacie and both mommy and Lacie are over their cabin fever and are ready for a slow and down day tomorrow and Wednesday.

About daddy – Daddy is still doing great. He is back at work – working both is real job and also his evening seasonal job as a server/bartender. After I got her in bed the other night (FINALLY) and when he came home from the restaurant, he said, “I miss the little one. I wish she were up so I can see her.” OH my – of course I jumped on that one. If she wakes up in the middle of the night – you can go get her. And he did. He does great soothing her back to sleep in the middle of the night. And of course, if she sees me, she will not go back to bed either. She is truly a mommy’s girl – but does so love her daddy. At church on Sunday she kept leaning over to him for kisses. That was special to watch. They are bonding.

Every day, she seems more comfortable with us. And every day, she is more special to us. My love each day gets deeper and more intense. I can tell that she is trusting us more and she is encouraging more contact and special moments, like reaching up to touch our faces while we feed her a bottle, or staring intensely into our eyes as she jabbers/talks at night before she falls off to sleep. Generally when she falls asleep with one of us she is close but not touching. The other evening she cuddled up close to me and grabbed onto my shirt like it was her blankie and fell asleep. It was a special moment for me I must say. It is also very special that she prefers to cuddle than just be put in bed. Sometimes I can just lay her down for a nap, but she most often prefers to be near us when she falls asleep.

We have uploaded some additional pictures in our photoalbum. I have attached a little of what you may see.




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

she is beautiful, it's me the crier.

8/11/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home