Monday, July 18, 2005

July 18 updates

Many apologies for those who have been waiting for an update. I talked to my mom early this morning (late for her) and she said she had been worrying. If we do not do an update every day – please hang in there one should come shortly. Between John’s bug that put him in bed for almost 24 hours and me having to do most baby care alone – there is not much time for writing. And when Lacie and Daddy were able to nap together yesterday then mommy went porcelin shopping. Jiangxi (the province we are in and the province where Lacie is from – is where much of the porcelin is from.) I wanted to get her a little something from her province before we left. We will do most of our shopping in Guangzhou when we get there – and that is if we are feeling better and up to it. It takes great effort sometimes to just make it to dinner. But between sleep, which is coming more naturally for mommy and antibiotics taking effect for both mommy and daddy, we hope to both be up to the shopping that we need to do there. If we do nothing else, we want to make sure we get her some dresses to last a few years and a little tea set and a few other things. We have been told by many who have gone before that there would be a lot of down time – we are looking for that time. Ha Ha.

John is out today for a day long trip to the orphanage. Fenyi is a three hour bus ride and I thought that would be too much for both mommy and baby to take. Total time out and about would be about 9 hours. The orphanage director wanted to host the group for lunch too, which is so nice. John is to take lots of video and pictures. I am sad that we could not go too because I think it would be good for both of us to see where Lacie spent the first nine months of her life. That was her home, and it is bittersweet that we are leaving her province in the morning. I pray that someday we can bring her back to her birth home and show her what wonderful people and things are here.

We went to a small village last evening. Lacie fell asleep on the bus as she was taking a bottle so I stayed on the bus while John toured the village and took pictures. The photos are up in the on-line photoalbum. Take a peek. The village was a rice village. There were a lot of children and many girls. We love seeing girls in China and I am excited to say that there are many more than I imagined.

We went to Pizza Hut for dinner last night. Thank God! Oh to see food from home. After we went to Pizza we went to a “light show” on the water front. Nanchang is very beautiful in its downtown area and by the river. The light show was actually a very long long row of water fountains that dance to light and music. At one point the fountain gets so high that when the water comes down everyone gets soaked. We were in a bad spot and all of us were poured on. Lacie loved it. She thought it was so great and kicked her legs and smiled and just looking around. She talked about it all evening after we got back to the room and it took me till 11:00 to get her to sleep. This is a baby who loves to be asleep by 8:00 to 8:30.

Lacie has really been quite the popular baby. She smiles so easily that some of the locals are taken with her. And one woman visiting our hotel actually took her right out of my arms. I was a little uneasy at first, but our guide told us that it was not uncommon for the Chinese women to sort of “butt” in. So, I let her have a turn at holding Lacie and soon thereafter I got her back. We are not trying to be selfish, just wanting her to know that she is not going to just be handed off again to some other stranger who will take her away. She has only had parents for five days or so and she does not understand that we are permanent yet. I can’t imagine life without her.

In case everyone is wondering what the new mommy obsession of the day is I will report here. We are taking a plane tomorrow to Guangzhou to finalize the last part of our adoption on the U.S. level. I am now obsessing what to do for her ears. What if they hurt while ascending and descending? She does not take a pacifier and she does not suck her thumb. I can only feed her so often. And I just hate the thought of her being in pain. And can it hurt her ear drums? The other thing I am worried about – besides not having the energy to do all we want and need in Guangzhou – is the LOOOONNNNGGGGG flight home. Lacie is a very very busy girl. What will we do for all those hours AND of course there is an ear issue once again.

Oh, and her cough is worse, but she still does not have a fever. For those who are wondering about the rash, it has pretty much cleared up, but she is still itchy or it is a habit for her to scratch. We continue to use benadryl at night for her itching and Tussin DM in the morning and at night for her cough. I refuse to call the pediatrician about our fears of ear pain and flying. So, any thoughts would be nice. Please feel free to email at my hotmail address. Vondamots at hotmail dot com.

We want to remind everyone at home that we cannot see our own blog webpage in China. So we cannot get any of the comments you are writing. I hesitate to share this bit of information because we both look forward to being home and seeing what our friends and family have had to share. Especially any comments under the post about John’s dirty diaper. So, keep the comments coming as you are inspired. We would also love to hear from you now. So please feel free to contact us at our hotmail addresses. We will not be able to answer all emails but we would love to hear from home.

I am sorry this is so long – but we have missed communicating to our friends and family as much as we miss seeing friends and family. We are still so appreciative of all of you for your encouragement and support. Words can never describe how important each of you are to us. We could not have taken this journey without each of you.

To our four wonderful mothers and three fathers – we now truly appreciate what it is to be parents and to worry about a child. We love each of you and thank you for all you have done for us. Thank you all for your love for us and for worrying about us. (YES – I am so very sentimental at the moment!)

Here are two pics - one of mommy and Lacie and a hotel worker. The other are children from the village.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vonda and John,
Terry and I have been LOVING your updates, you've brought me to tears a couple of times with your love for Lacie. SHE IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I cannot say it enough..she is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen and Terry agrees! Stay strong, it must be hard being so tired! And give that baby a kiss for me! Love, Megan and Terry Joe

7/18/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vonda and John,
I love the pictures in your photobucket. The kids there look so happy and it is so interesting to see other cultures. The light show looked like fun (they have one like it in Las Vegas at the Bellagio). I bet Lacie got a kick out of that.

Lacie is such a little beauty - just like her mom!

Love ya,
Allison

7/18/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vonda and John: I love Lacie's outfit if I do say so myself. She looks adorable in that color of blue; I'll see what else I can find. It is so much fun to shop for girl things for a change. I'm missing you so much knowing you are on another continent even though we don't live that close here in the states. Dennis will probably be on his way to India on business while you are heading back to the states. He is in Mexico this week. Funny, I don't worry about him the way I do you. But then he is not my little sister. I hope you get some rest before your trip home. Love, Robin

7/19/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home