Monday, July 11, 2005

July 11 - Monday - Day 1

Today was a whirlwind. After following the sun to Japan, we made it to Beijing in one piece. We were exhausted. We had to be up early to begin our day by going to the Jade factory. After which we went to the Great Wall and climbed until our legs began to feel like noodles. Coming down was much harder than going up. I did not think I would make it. Some of the Chinese would run down the steps - not me - I held on for dear life. I guess you will believe it when I say that John wanted to run all the way up and run back down again. I paced him by telling him that he needed to walk behind me - "just in case." He was an attentive husband staying behind to make sure I did not fall. I do know why they have us see the Great Wall before we get the babys. There is no way I could climb that carrying one.

We then went to the Cloisonne factory, had lunch and then went to the Summer Palace, after which we had dinner. Both meals were wonderful and a true taste of China - not so americanized - but just a little for those that needed a little taste of home. We then went to see an Acrobatic show - which we filmed much of.

Tomorrow we get up early again and have a full day ahead of us of more sight seeing in Beijing and then we board our flights at 7:15 pm (7:15 a.m. in Louisville) and head to Nanchang by 9:30 pm. The very next morning at 11:00 a.m. we meet our baby's. All the sight seeing is wonderful - but every child I did see today reminded me of the true reason we are here.

We did see one mother today at the Summer Palace with her baby bundled up tight in about two blankets and long sleeves and it was about 90 degrees there this afternoon and very very sunny. They believe that the babys should always be covered. I had heard about this but had also heard that they are not so strict about the layers in the hot days of summer - but obviously this mom still believed that alot of clothing was best. I am prepared for a few reprimands from the locals.

More to come in a few days after we get Lacie. Everything touches me now in a very wierd way - so I can only imagine what it will all feel like on Wednesday morning. We will probably not write much tomorrow (Tuesday).

By the way - I am proud to say that I have still yet to have to use a "squatty potty." I have lucked into all western style RR's. I hope I can get through my entire experience in China not using one. We will see.

Here is a pic of me and John at the Great wall - about 1/2 way up and where we stopped climbing.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely to China! Vonda, I am glad that John didn't let you fall!! Looking forward to reading more......

Love,
Nancye

7/11/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you. I know Wednesday can't come fast enough. I await further news. I can't express in writing, the emotion(s) I am feeling for you and John. Please stay safe and bring your daughter home for us to see.

Hugs and Love
Rebecca & Chuck

7/11/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you were able to post. Everything sounds so exciting. I can tell your motherly instinct is already kicking in full speed, but don't worry there will be plenty of time to dress her in cute little sundresses when you get her back home! I can't wait to read more. Take care!
Love,
Leslie R.

7/11/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so much fun! I love reading your blogs. Have a safe trip to get Lacie!

Love you both,
Allison

7/11/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you guys....keep those cards, pics and letters coming...John, any good fishing ponds/lakes...all good fisherman are always on the lookout for new water...you should've brought some flukes, you could be the first in our group to catch a Chinese smallmouth!!

Mark and Rosemarie

7/12/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought about you both all weekend. Glad everything's going well and that you are enjoying yourselves.

I'm so happy for you and can't wait to hear more about Lacie from her mom and dad.

NancyJ
WTC

7/12/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vonda, She is beautiful! I just looked at all of your photos. You have to be so happy. How wonderful for you to get to hold her in your arms!
Hugs!
Janice

7/13/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home