Friday, August 19, 2005

August 19 New Teeth and Self feeding

Lacie continues to change every day. I write that on every new entry don’t I? But she does. When we first met, she had no teeth. She now has two on the bottom that she uses to grab the rubber-covered spoons and hold onto it for dear life. She is getting another on the top and I am sure that it will soon be followed by a second on the top. My guess is that we have some busy months ahead of us with cutting teeth and sleepless nights. I think this is why last night she woke up at midnight and wanted to talk. She does that sometimes, just wakes up and decides she wants to have a slumber party without the slumber. Imagine, God blessing John and me with a child that wants to talk all the time – wonder why? ha ha ha Is it that He has a sense of humor? I brought her to bed with us thinking that she was going to fall back to sleep and I would carefully put her back in her crib. NOT! She talked till 2:00 a.m. and would have continued if I were not about to fall off the edge of my bed trying to share with both John who was snoring and Lacie who was talking. I finally decided to put her back in her crib, turn on her lullaby CD and see what happens. She cried for only a minute and then talked a little more and then drifted to sleep. Thank God! Mommy just cannot be that good a mommy without her sleep.

I let her feed herself some bananas today. That was messy and needless to say when snack time was over we both needed a bath. I read in a book loaned by my cousin that they need to get into their food and be able to make a mess and play in it and this begins to teach them how to feed themselves. I am scared to let her play with rice cereal but that will be our next venture after we practice with bananas a few more times. She is beginning to master the Gerber fruit puffs and gets about every other one in her mouth. If I just put them on her tray she will “rake them” into the palm of her hand and hold them. However, if I hold one out to her, she can pinch it between her thumb and index finger and stick it in her mouth. So, she has the pinching thing down but she just needs to figure it out when food is on the tray. We find more fruit puffs in the chair and the dogs love to sit and wait patiently next to her high chair for the ones she drops on the floor. They think she is the treat queen. John and I no longer rank – Lacie is the one who offers more in their eyes. She still does not like fruit, except bananas. We are going to try avocados soon. They are supposed to be good for little ones. I love that book.

We have been working on the sippy cup and she is getting the hang of that. She still needs a little assistance. I do not particularly want her using one right now – she is my baby after all and I want her to stay my baby as long as I can keep her that way. But she is preparing for daycare and I think being able to use a sippy cup will be useful for snack time and lunch. The director said that they still allow bottles for her age group though. She will be almost 1 when she goes to daycare. Mommy has cried a few tears in the past few days thinking about this issue. I think Lacie will do so well though cause she loves children and loves to watch them play. She gets so excited when children are around her.

Mommy obsession of the week: daycare said that they give marshmallows and raisins for a snack. The most solid food she has had is a hard-boiled egg yolk, bananas and fruit puffs. I have read in two places that children should not have raisins or marshmallows and many other chocking hazard foods till they are at least three and supervised. Besides, Marshmallows are full of sugar. That can’t be good for a little girl with growing teeth. I am going to have to talk to daycare and let them know that she can’t have certain foods and snacks. I am sure that I am going to also have to get a doctors note.

We have no pictures downloaded to share this time. We have tons of new pics, just need to down load them.
Lots of love and hugs,
Vonda, John and Lacie

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Vonda! Thanks for the update! Terry, Luke and I can hardly wait to see you on Monday! About the marshmallows and raisins, I could not agree with you more!!! I still do not like for him to eat marshmallows without close supervision cause he crams it in there and could easily choke. I mean, even teenagers choke on marshmallows. And raisins are hard to chew and could easily be swallowed whole. I know you know all that stuff, I'm not trying to scare or anything, I just want you to know that as another mother, I share your concerns and am pretty shocked about those choices of snacks as well. Do what you gotta do for that cute little girl! hahaha. See you soon!

8/29/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home